Friday, December 18, 2009

Thinking about going off the grid...

Lately I've been thinking a lot about trying to go off the grid. I don't really mean installing solar panels and fermenting my own waste to produce energy (though I'd like to do the solar panel bit some day), but rather, going off the social technology grid. I'm thinking about shutting down my facebook account, getting rid of this blog (like anyone reads my semi-annual posts anyway), and in general keeping as low of a public profile as possible. I know there's been a lot in the news about identity theft and whatnot, but my real reason for wanting to become a social-media-born-again is that I feel like people use social media to broadcast their lives too much. At first I found it interesting to know what people were up to, but then it got to be too much. Honestly, I don't care that some person I haven't talked to since high school is having a bad day because some friend of theirs who I don't even know was in a bike accident.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't care about you, it's just that I don't want to hear every sad little detail of your life, especially if I barely know you. I feel like social media has brought us to this strange place where everyone feels the need to broadcast all the deepest darkest feelings they might be experiencing, and honestly, I feel like it sort of cheapens real relationships. Part of the fun of being a human being is trying to figure out what makes people tick - but you don't have to do that anymore, because everyone is publicly broadcasting every little secret about themselves.

So I think it's decided...if anyone actually reads this and is interested in staying in contact with me, send me your email address or phone number, because this will most likely be my final blog. Oh, and Merry Christmakwanzukkah.

5 comments:

Marissa of Ris C Handmade said...

I totally agree with you! I have my blog so that my family will stop bugging me for pictures and updates on Audrey, but I refuse to go on facebook. If people want to know how I am doing, they can just ask. I am pretty sure you have my email and if you ever need to call me, you can email me for my number, but I am pretty sure you have my phone number too.

Lisa said...

Lame. I mean, I guess I understand, but you could always just not be friends with people on facebook that you don't care about. But oh well--see ya around... somewhere... ;)

SELPH PHOTOGRAPHY said...

Well I make money off the FB so I have a vested interest in it. The more contacts I have, the better chance I have of making money. Those I care about but are not super close with I can still keep tabs on them and feel somewhat connected to their lives through their blogs. But just like a bad conversation, same goes for a bad blog post where you find out way to much info than you would care to know about. But the nice thing about the blog is that you don't have to respond and there is no awkward silence to endure and no panic over what to day next. Where as on the phone you are kind of stuck unless you can fake the call waiting beep really well. Lets be honest your not exactly a social butterfly, so it would make sense that these social networking tools are a turn off to you. But thats OK to each his own. That is what can make life great.

Anonymous said...

GeroCevaBreeR
[url=http://healthplusrx.com/leg-ulcers]leg ulcers[/url]
apargoGeolo

Anonymous said...

I've ever liked things like sand clocks, lava lamps, and the like to good of just dissipate in days of yore staring at it as a cut of catharsis. In a course, it helps me with meditation, to relieve stress and strain and decent deem fro nothing. That's why since I was a kid, instead of dolls and cars I've in any case cool more of such pieces like sand clocks, lava lamps, tuneful boxes etc. So I was most pleased when I found the[url=http://www.dealtoworld.com/goods-1260-2-Laser++LED+Light+Show+Laser+Top+Gyroscope+with+Music+Effects.html] 2-Laser + LED Inconsiderable Manifest Laser Ace Gyroscope with Music Effects[/url] from DealtoWorld.com under the Toys section. It's like a musical caddy, a spinning exceed, and a berate divulge all rolled into one. Which is great diversion! The gyroscope wishes outing for round a minute. The laser explanation manifest with accompanying music makes this gyroscope a very unique bauble that my friends be suffering with also been most amused with.

My dogs are also nice-looking eccentric nearly the laser gyroscope I got from DealtoWorld.com. They evermore occupy oneself with the gyroscope as it spins, although at earliest they kept barking at the laser slight advertise, and also because it produces music. But after they got worn it, they've stopped barking but simply save up following the gyroscope whenever I start spinning it. Kids are also pretty amused next to it. Sometimes it's good to take pleasing toys around the house so that you can desert the toy on while the kids are being amused or playing with it while you live fit out viands or receive changed. The gyroscope is one such toy with this purpose.

The gyroscope I bought from DealtoWorld.com has a dragon as a intent plot on it, and produces a light accompany with red, dispirited, and common colours. Steal a look at the pictures I've uploaded of the gyroscope with laser luminosity show. The music produced from the gyroscope is not that great but facts adequacy to consider any supplementary roomer to the house. The gyroscope is red and negro, making it look very cool, and slightly masculine with that dragon imprint.

The music flare inform gyroscope runs on 6 LR44 batteries, which are replaceable anyway. I've also euphemistic pre-owned this gyroscope to stagger my girlfriend during our anniversary celebration. I did the cheesy matter of decorating the hotel cell with roses and when I led her in, I started up the gyroscope as rise so that the laser insight expose produces a romantic effect. I also had some battery operated candles so all the sunrise effects created a sort of mawkish atmosphere. She loved it, not later than the going, to my relief. I also bought the candles from DealtoWorld.com. These days it seems to be my default shopping put for all gifts and ideas in behalf of romanticist occasions.

Since Christmas is coming, this laser radiance upstage gyroscope can dialect mayhap be a momentous Christmas favour seeking the toddler or neutral the favoured! Alternatively, the gyroscope can really be a gracious addition to the usual Christmas decorations. I can take it as given placing it near the Christmas tree and maybe spinning it when guests succeed in the house. Looks like [url=http://www.dealtoworld.com]DealtoWorld.com[/url] is getting my subject thus far again!