Friday, April 22, 2011

Interactive sound generators

Lately, I've been really fascinated by these interactive sound generators you can find on the internet. Below are two of my favorites. I find the idea of making music from a visual source extremely cool.



Otomata
With this link, you can click on random squares within the grid, then assign them a behavior - meaning a direction they can move. They move as far as they can within the field, then when they hit a wall, they create a tone and bounce back in the opposite direction. The result is pretty cool.
 
Matrix
Here, you can click on cells within the matrix to produce a design, which then gets turned into musical tones - it's sort of like a graph where the x-axis represents time, and the y-axis represents a tone.
 
Alright, you probably think these are kind of lame, but I literally played with both of these for at least 30 minutes when I found them.

No comments: