Thursday, September 20, 2007

"Confessions of an Economic Hitman"

I'm reading a book right now titled "Confessions of an Economic Hitman" which revolves around the strategy employed by the US government, whereby developing countries are swindled into racking up millions and billions of dollars of debt to American corporations. Because they are so indebted to what the author calls the "corporatocracy", they are unable to provide aide to their own people and are forced to bend to the "American" will. The author of this book spent many years convincing foreign governments to invest "in their country" by contracting development projects (energy production, etc.) to American corporations; the money for these projects was loaned to them by the World Bank and other international lending agencies. Using this strategy, the US has formed a world empire of smaller countries that are so irreconcilably in our debt they have no choice but to bend to "our" will.

The book has opened my eyes and is beginning to make me painfully aware of the blindness of the American public to the actions of our elected leaders, our business heroes, and our industry moguls. After a lot of political discussion with friends recently, my faith in the two-party system of government is seriously wavering. In the coming months I'll use this blog to publish some of my ideas, for the sake of getting them out there. Most of them are not original ideas- they're stolen from people of every walk of life. And I realize that no one reads my blog, so I'll be doing it entirely for my own sake, but so be it. I would love some discussion from those who happen to stumble onto this blog and the friends who happen to read it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I want not concur on it. I think nice post. Specially the title attracted me to read the unscathed story.

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.